Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.,
A Brief History
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was founded January 16, 1920 on the campus of Howard University in Washington D.C. by five illustrious ladies, also known as our “five pearls.” These five women, Arizona Cleaver Stemmons, Pearl Anna Neal, Myrtle Tyler Faithful, Viola Tyler Goings, and Fannie Pettie Watts dared to depart from the traditional coalitions for Black women and sought to establish a new organization predication on the principles of Scholarship, Service, Sisterly Love, and Finer Womanhood. It was upon these principles that the foundation for Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was established.
As a sorority of trailblazers, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. has chronicled a number of firsts. The sorority was the first, Greek-letter organization to charter a chapter in Africa (1948), to form adult and youth auxiliary groups, to centralize its operations in a national headquarters, as well as being the first and ONLY sorority to be constitutionally bound to a fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated.
Zeta’s national and local programs include endowment of its National education Foundation, community outreach services such as Z-Hope, and support of multiple affiliate organizations including March of Dimes. Zeta Chapters and auxiliary groups have give un-totaled hours of voluntary services to educate the public, assist youth, provide scholarships, support organized charities and promote legislation for civic and social change.
A 501(c)7 nonprofit organization, Zeta Phi Beta is incorporated in Washington, D.C. and in the state of Illinois. The Sorority is supported by the dues and gifts of its members.